Have you noticed a strange fuzzy growth in and around your home or business? You may have a mould problem. Besides being just plain gross, mould has numerous detrimental health effects, can harm you and your employees, and is definitely not something you want hanging around your home or workplace. Here’s some insight on the causes of mould and how Scrub Zero can help you remedy the problem.
Mold is a type of fungus that is found everywhere. It can grow anywhere there is moisture present, and there are thousands of different species of it. Mould grows best in very moist environments, appearing like very fine, fluffy white threads or fuzzy patches. Common surfaces that mould will grow on include shower stalls, damp floors and walls, and around leaky pipes. Mould is only visible to the naked eye when it grows in large colonies, meaning some people may be unaware that mould has contaminated their home or workplace.
Household mould growth is usually caused by incomplete drying of building materials. Therefore, your house is especially susceptible to mould if you’ve just redone the floor or roof. A leaky pipe or toilet also provide the nice moist places where mould loves to flourish in. It is difficult to be completely protected from mould because it reproduces by using airborne particle called spores, which begin to grow a new patch of mould if they land on a suitable surface. These spores enter your home through basically any opening, and are so small that they can find their way into most nooks and crannies. In fact, mould and mould spores are a normal part of air. Both indoors and outside, each breath contains hundreds of microscopic spores. Most spores and many developed moulds are mostly harmless to healthy adults, and unless spores land in a damp, hospitable environment, they remain benign and don’t mature.
Not only can mould get everywhere in your house, it can also have consequences on your health should the wrong species get on or in you! Symptoms of mould exposure include a runny nose, irritated throat, and breathing problems.
Infants should be kept far away from rooms and homes contaminated by mould, as exposure at a young age can cause permanent chronic health issues such as asthma. Some people may be allergic to mould. When these people are exposed to mould, they experience the usual symptoms of an allergic reaction. Despite these serious concerns, spores in infected houses usually exist in areas that are out of the way, and therefore harmless to healthy individuals. But even benign moulds should be removed from a home. This is because moulds survive by eating the materials your house is built from. With enough time, mould can make your home structurally unstable. Beyond that, harmless moulds may pave the way for much more dangerous varieties. Because of this, it is always better to be safe than sorry; make sure you deal with the problem before it grows out of control! Despite these obviously negative effects, mould is used in science and laboratories to help with research and are instrumental in developing new drugs and medicines.
Mould is not a friendly visitor, and you certainly don’t want it in your home or work environment. If you think you might have a mould problem or if you have just had your piping or flooring redone and want to make sure that no mould snuck in, we are more than happy to speak with you and answer any of your questions. Please don’t hesitate to call us today at (403) 697-3127!
Office: (403) 697-3127
416 51st Ave SE
(By Appoinment Only)